Thursday, April 15, 2010

I guess this is my first post and I need to tell you who I am and what I think I’m doing! I’m very happily married to someone that is blessed with great patience and understanding. We tied the knot over 16 years ago. I’m also a Dad of 3. A nearly teenage female mouth on legs (you’ve got to love those hormones), ‘the boy’, and Captain Chaos – but more about her in a minute.
I’m a born and bred Yorkshireman and live on the coast. After ten years of the big city the beauty of being back between sea and moor is fantastic. My route to work always includes heading around the seafront and checking out that changeable element that goes from that mill pond stillness and shining azure blue to a thunderous rage, angry grey and white
When I get to that work I sit and count potatoes. Well that’s what I tell folk and I’m not sure if the truth is more or less interesting. But we work to live, not live to work. So less of that and more of the living.
Captain Chaos. The existence of the foetal Captain Chaos came to us as a surprise, and before she made her world premiere 6 odd years ago supplied a couple of extra surprises. The first was a congenital heart defect that would require repair. The second was an extra chromosome. Trisomy-21 – better known as Down’s Syndrome. Since that fateful day of her premiere she taught us much about ourselves, about the strength of family, about resistance of expectations, about intolerance and fear and about love. She is likely to provide me with much material here – but not everything is going to be about her.
So what else do I have to say? I like to hear my own voice and opinions. I enjoy providing a good bit of critical comment as much as the next man (or woman). Sometimes I just have something that I want to get off my chest and would probably like some other, more rational, views on.
I’m going to try to post frequently – but if I don’t, don’t shoot me.
And I’ll update the other stuff as I go along…honestly!

8 Comments:

At 10:39 pm , Blogger Blackbeltmama said...

Welcome to the blog world! I'll now go down in history as your very first commenter. Congrats and good luck!

 
At 10:56 pm , Blogger Stephanie said...

I am on here randomly as well, but will enjoy some of your insight when I do log on.

 
At 11:03 pm , Blogger lauratheexplorer said...

Captain chaos.. good name! ;) Glad to read more of the family's adventures. Keep it up! :)

 
At 11:40 pm , Blogger Melissa said...

I think this is a great idea! I'm so pleased. I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

 
At 12:20 am , Blogger Christina said...

Yay Deryck! I blog too BUT have had trouble keeping it regular! LOL Your off to a good start!

 
At 2:33 am , Blogger Tom P. said...

Here's a little advice from someone who has been blogging for years... blog about what you want to blog about and not what you think anyone wants to read. Of course, I think only about 5 people read my blog so maybe that isn't such great advice. :D

 
At 3:27 am , Blogger Jeffrey Goble said...

As one of the readers of Tom's blog, I can unequivocally state that he writes about what he wants to.
Hope you find the experience as I have - increasing your self-knowledge and, sometimes, expanding your world in new and unexpected ways. I look forward to your next.
(emdad)

 
At 3:24 pm , Blogger Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Hey Deryck! Welcome to the blog world!!! I can't wait to read it! :) I'll add you to my google reader and check in often! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home