Monday, April 19, 2010

Kids

A slightly rambling post – for that I apologise before you start.


I have decided recently that you don’t realise the aggravation that you caused your parents until you have your own kids. Yes, I know it’s taken a while to sink in. I can see a lot of my own behaviour in both of the older two and find myself delivering the same admonishments that I’d heard many, many times myself. I’m really starting to learn that discipline is a very two edged sword. I want the kids to have fun but then also have to lay down the law – so at times it not only makes them upset but it makes me feel bad.

The one thing I remember from being a kid is that parental catch-all phrase “because I said so!” It used to drive me mad as a kid so I did promise myself that I wouldn’t do the same to them. Well, that didn’t work did it! But I do hope that after I’ve said it (and calmed down) I’ve made the effort to explain to them a little more why I don’t want them to do something. Once I have I do hope that they have a little more understanding of why they should stop doing something.

Of course one thing that they all do is fight! They would argue black is white and up is down just to get a rise out of each other. And as non-verbal as Captain Chaos is she’s more than capable of joining in. The fights and shouting can last for quite a long time but, at the end of it all, they are the best of friends. It makes me feel proud that they have such strong links with each other. I know that they would all stand together in the face of adversity. I’ve seen them support and defend each other before. I know I feel the same with my brother and sister (and miss them terribly as they live a distance away). So I hope that in the long term my three will remain close to each other and that the feeling of closeness remains.

Photobucket

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:52 pm , Blogger lauratheexplorer said...

Love the picture! :)

I've had those moments as well. Recently I heard myself say (at a party, no less!), "I don't CARE who started it, I'm saying it's OVER, and I mean NOW!". :P

But the same weekend I heard the three of them giggling to each other for no reason, just amused at each other, and it makes me hopeful that we're all doing a few things right.

 
At 11:32 am , Blogger Sarah said...

I hate the number of times I say things to the sprogs and hear my mother! Please don't say I'm the grown up now!

 
At 7:06 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

What about - I'll give you something to cry about xxxxx Kids gotta love em, siblings too hey! x

 
At 6:25 pm , Blogger Darth Mole said...

Scary how true all that is

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home