Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I never was any good at thinking up titles...

I've always felt that I didn't have much talent for creative writing and the following may prove this.  I wrote this poem (yes, I said poem) last week.  I have in the past been one of those people that thinks he "doesn't get" poetry and really it's taken a while for me to start to appreciate it.  Writing this poem certainly aided my appreciation of the creative form. 

The inspiration for this poem came from me wanting to express how I felt when the least favourite aspect of the fibromyalgia syndrome grabbed me.  Part of the illness is often described as 'fibro fog', a state where thinking is a challenge.  I'd struggle to remember things, I'd make many simple mistakes, I'd get frustrated.  It really made my life miserable.  It affected my work and home life for about 18 months and whilst I still get bouts of fibro fog it's few and far between.

Well...as Lando Carlrissian said "Here goes nothing."

Misty

When clarity is an aim
Dark
When light is sought to gain
The pathway is twisted
The edges unclear threatening a misstep
I am afraid

Forwards
Each movement is measured
Slowly
Every footfall controlled
A tentative progression
To a destination to me unclear
I am afraid

Voices
Seeking to distract
Fingers
Snagging and lingering unseen
My journey is fraught
Temptations towards pitfalls beset my journey
I am afraid

Confusion
Clouds my thoughts
Uncertainty
Smothering my outstretched senses
My destination moves away
The options disappear forcing me to stumble
I am afraid

Falling
Distorting my balance
Screaming
My head wants to split
Any conclusion slips further away
The maelstrom now turning me inside out

Then

Light
Warming my soul
Softness
Coddles my breaking body
Hope strips away at my despair
The sudden love lifting me clears my way
I am no long afraid

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:41 am , Blogger Sarah said...

Well - I never thought I would see the day when you appreciated poetry not to mention write some!!Are you sure you're not writing about a hangover though?!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home