Friday, July 16, 2010

The March of Time

I've been absent from my blog for two weeks now and really should get into the habit of writing more frequently.  But this week we got the news we didn't want to hear about my Dad and his cancer.  Contrary to earlier reports it has spread and is attacking other areas.  Timetables for with and without treatment have been given and the calendar suddenly becomes less of a friend that points to happy occassions. 

Again I've seen tremendous strength in our family, especially in Dad.  He's decided already that he's going for treatment so there is a spark of fight in there that's not been extinguished with this diagnosis and he knows that whatever happens here on in he has (and has always had) the love, strength and support of us all.  He also knows that he's not going to be let out of his grandfatherly duties let alone receive anything less than the usual level of torment that he attracts from us.

We all have our ways of coping when someone puts a "timetable" on you, or gives you the "odds of success".  It's something that we have faced several times already with Captain Chaos.  Life is a fragile thing at the best of times - all that seperates physical life from death is a breath.  To me this means that we need to deal with each day as it comes to us.  We need make plans for the future, and it's right to make plans for the future, but we do also need to live in the here and now.  Today is today, when tomorrow gets here then I'll deal with that then.  But I'm starting to ramble a little now!

What I'm simply trying to say is "Dad, as you fight this we are here as a family to help you, to support you and be with you.  We love you and cherish you...and don't forget to send me that £20 note for saying that :)"

And in addition to this - being a Friday I've just heard a song that is about as appropriate as I can get...

Van Halen - Right Now

Don't wanna wait 'til tomorrow

Why put it off another day?
One by one, little problems
Build up, and stand in our way. Oh

One step ahead, one step behind it
Now ya gotta run to get even
Make future plans I'll dream about yesterday, hey!
Come on turn, turn this thing around

(Right now) Hey! It's your tomorrow
(Right now) Come on, it's everything
(Right now) Catch your magic moment
Do it right here and now
It means everything

Miss a beat, you lose a rhythm
And nothin' falls into place. No!
Only missed by a fraction
Slipped a little off your pace. Oh!

The more things you get, the more you want
Just trade in one for another
Workin' so hard to make it easy
Whoa, got to turn. Come on, turn this thing around

(Right now) Hey, it's your tomorrow
(Right now) Come on, it's everything
(Right now) catch that magic moment
Do it right here and now
It means everything

Said a lie to me
Right now
What are ya waitin' for? Oh! Yeah!
Right now

(Right now) Hey! It's your tomorrow
(Right now) Come on, it's everything
(Right now) Catch that magic moment
And do it right, right now (Right now)
Oh, right now!

It's what's happening
Right here and now
Right now, it's right now
Oh! Tell me, what are ya waitin' for?
Turn this thing around

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:51 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Well said big Bro! This has been a hard few days with loads of tears from me. After all we are talking about that grumpy old man that is my Daddy. Never before has 180 miles felt like a million miles and the M1 is going to have to be well travelled over the coming months, I want to do all I can but its so hard when there is the distance, kids, work etc, however I will do my best.

I know Dad will give it a good fight, after all he is my creaking gate.....

Love ya Dad and can I have the number plate LOL xxxxx

 
At 1:51 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:07 pm , Blogger Sarah said...

We need to make the most of today, and everyday. Fill our memories with good times, not tears.
Trying to re-prioritise our lives won't be easy, but it will worth it.

(And Amber - the number plate should go to someone who's surname is still Thorp!!!)

 
At 4:53 pm , Blogger lauratheexplorer said...

Thinking of all of you over there! I'm sure it's all been said before by so many, but I think it never hurts to have many people thinking their separate good thoughts. I know you'll make whatever time he has be the best it can be-all of you. And hugs to all (from your pseudo-relations across the pond ;))

(And by the way, the captcha for posting this comment? Boingers. :P)

 
At 3:23 pm , Blogger Tom P. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Know that those of us on the other side of the pond are pulling for him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home